Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Virtual Open House

I went to a quilting friend's Quilters' Open House.  Having never attended one before, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect.  We had a nice lunch and visit, then paraded out what we've been working on lately.  In addition to good company and good food, we got to see Sue's many Christmas decorations - she has 6 trees.  The one above displays a collection of handmade beaded ornaments that Sue treasures.
We also got to see the many quilts sprinkled throughout Sue's home.  There were two on the sofa, this flag quilt, and the Star quilt below.
The star quilt has a pieced back, with one star made by a childhood friend.  That star includes the words to an old song, "Oh, Play mate, come out and play with me, and bring your dollies three, climb up my apple tree...."  That is SO incredibly sweet!
Below is Sue's pink flamingo tree.  You don't see too many of those around these parts!
Sue made the Hisbiscus Quilt below for a friend, Nancy.  Nancy was thrilled with it.
Here's Sue's tree in the living room.  Very festive!
 
I expressed an interest in making a nine patch/snow ball quilt, so Sue showed me the one she made.  I've never seen a snowball done in black.  Its very striking.
You can see the piano key border in this side view.
The quilting was done by another Quilt Chick named Terri.  She does nice work!
Below is Sue's Raggedy Ann tree.  Adorable, isn't it?
Some of Sue's trees have origami stars.  The one below is in Green Bay Packer colors, on the Sports Tree, in the man cave.
Below is a scrap quilt Sue made in a pineapple pattern.  Spectacular!  Of the many quilts I saw at Sue's, THIS is my favorite.
Below is the Red, White and Blue tree. 
Below is another scrap quilt Sue has made.  I'm particularly fond of scrap quilts, so I'm intrigued.  When other quilters learned she was working on scrap quilts, many many donate bags of scraps.  I think she said she had over 20 grocery sacks in all!
Sue has a number of Christmas-y collections, but the snow village below is particularly interesting.  These houses were made during World War II.  They're made of paper mache, because other building materials were unavailable at the time. 
I should have taken a picture of our smiling faces - but you'll have to take my word for it.  A good time was had by all.  Thanks Sue, for opening your home to us.  :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting the pictures, Chris. I am so bummed I couldn't make it. Your blog let's me feel like I was there!