I learn or re-learn something with every quilt I make. Started this project with high hopes...but halfway through I thought this doll quilt was headed for the Island of Misfit Toys. I learned:
1. Quilitng uneven thicknesses is bugger. Probably best to tie recycled fabrics, and quilt 100% cotton.
2. Use light thread on light squares, dark thread on dark squares.
3. Do not sew safety pins into your quilt - its hard to get them out (the pin was covered by tracing paper).
4. When hand stitching on your lap (and watching TV), try not to sew the quilt to your pants.
5. If you DO sew the quilt to your pants, try not to do it more than once.
6. Most important: experiment, have fun, keep quilting! :)