The Mayo Clinic lists the top five foods to lower cholesterol: Oatmeal, Fish, Nuts, Olive Oil and Plant Sterols. So I scoured my cupboards to see how my inventory stacks up:
1. Oatmeal, Oat Bran & High Fiber Foods: Check. Eat oatmeal daily and get plenty of high fiber foods like black beans, whole grains, raisins and craisins. If I get tired of oatmeal, there are Cheerios and Oatmeal Squares in the cupboard.
2. Fish and Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Check. Three varieties of fish in the freezer. Canola oil and tuna in the cupboard. Salmon on the grocery list.
3. Walnuts, Almonds and Other Nuts: Ooops, I'm all out. Was enjoying walnuts in oatmeal and salads. Better put nuts on the grocery list too. Should also get some unsweetened peanut butter.
4. Olive Oil - Check. Been making my own V&O dressing with it. Also have Hellman's Mayonnaise made with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
5. Foods with Added Plant Sterols or Stanols: I haven't tried the plant sterol-fortified margarine, orange juice or yogurt drinks. Better put them on that grocery list too!
Want to learn more? See: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL00002
Have a happy, healthy week! :)