Search This Blog

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Christmas Traditions & Crafts





Its fascinating to see how tradtions change and evolve from one generation to the next.  The nutcracker collection belongs to my 18 year old son.  When he was 7 or 8, he took an interest in my aunt's collection, so I began buying him one or two nutcrackers each year.  He's now 18 and has a good collection.  This Easter he even acquired an Easter Bunny nutcracker from my aunt.  Eventually I'd like to make him a nutcracker mini quilt for displaying them.  No urgency though as they are currently stored on top of the bookshelf - safe from the dog's waggily tail.

The second picture is a velvet table runner, made for me by a sister-in-law.  I love that it is so traditional (holly leaves), yet so dressy (velvet).  If you look at my previous post you'll see how nice it looks on the mantle with my birds.

Third picture you've seen before.  The tree skirt made by my sister.  I'll be entering this one in the Virtual Christmas Quilt Show.  I suppose I better let her know she's now a celebrity!  Does this mean if I win a drawing I have to give the prize to her?  (I think it does!)  To visit the VCQS see:

http://sewcalgal.blogspot.com/2009/12/virtual-christmas-quilt-show.html

Fourth thought....about traditions.  As a kid we always selected and decorated the tree as a family, and the crowning glory was to put up the Nativity scene under the tree.  We worked so hard, making a stable out of Lincoln Logs - we thought it was beautiful!  Over the years, various figures got broken, so my sister made a new set in her art class.  My mom still puts that up every year.  I started collecting Fontanini figures when my kids were small.  I wanted something classic and unbreakable - so the kids could participate without worries.  Every year I put the nativity scene out before anything else - and remind them that THIS is the most important part of Christmas.  I think it sunk in.  However, despite being legal adults, they still act like kids.  This year they told me they'd try not to steal Baby Jesus TOO much!

2 comments:

SewCalGal said...

Delightful post. Thanks for sharing your holiday insights and sharing your quilt in the Virtual Christmas Quilt Show. Random drawing for prizes will be held December 25th. Good luck!

Have a very Merry Christmas!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

Very festive...I LOVE your nutcrackers! LOL! MERRY CHRISTMAS!