Search This Blog

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Grandma Clara's Chocolate Chip Cake - GF Edition

About a year ago, I was preparing to celebrate my 50th birthday.  Had put two chocolate chip cakes in the oven, and sat down to read my mail.  It was then I learned I had celiac disease and could not eat wheat (or rye, barley or oats) for the rest of my ever-lovin' days. 

Well, I had my last hurrah, and enjoyed my (gluten-containing) cake.  Then got on the bandwagon and purged my home of all gluten-containing goodies and ingredients.

A few months ago, I got a hankerin' for my Grandma's cake though, and began experimenting with the recipe.  I think I've got it nailed down, so here is the GF version of this family favorite:

Grandma Clara's Chocolate Chip Cake - GF

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped dates or raisins
1 cup water

1 stick butter, softened
1 T. vanilla
3 eggs
1 Betty Crocker yellow cake mix (15 oz)
3 TBSP baker's cocoa
1 cup semi-sweet choc. chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Powdered sugar

Combine water and dates, and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees for dark tube pan, 350 degrees for light colored tube pan. 
Spray with cooking spray.

Cream butter.  Blend in eggs, vanilla, date mixture and cocoa. 

Add cake mix.  Blend for 30 seconds.  Then beat with mixer for 2 minutes.  Pour into tube pan.  Shake pan gently to distribute batter evenly in pan.

Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts over batter.

Bake approximately 50 minutes.  Cool on rack. 

When cool, use plastic knife to loosen sides of pan.  Lift center of tube pan away from sides.  Loosen bottom of cake with plastic knife.  Using two large spatulas (pancake turners) lift cake up and away from tube pan center and place on cake plate.

Dust with powdered sugar.

Note: For almost all GF cakes and cookies, I recommend making them 24 hours before you will serve it.  GF baked goods seem to need the additional time to "set" so they are not so crumbly to cut and serve.  This is especially true of GF bars.

For the original recipe see: http://quilt-talk.blogspot.com/2010/11/birthday-cake.html

No comments: