Search This Blog

Sunday, November 28, 2010

GF Peppermint Strips

As a rule, Gluten Free products are more crumbly than their wheat-based original recipes.  Pictured here are Peppermint Strips.  I chose this for my first GF experiment  because the candy on top hardens when it cools.  Even if the GF flour replacer yields a more breakable cookie, the hardened candy will hold it together.  Yesterday I tested this theory and made one pan with Glutino's Gluten Free Pantry All Purpose Flour.  Success!  My theory was correct.  This flour replacer is nice because its a 1-to-1 conversion, and has a nice flavor.
The pans in this picture are made with regular flour.  It would be far too expensive to make multiple batches that are GF.  The flour replacer is $5.00 for about 3 cups of flour. 

Now I'll scrub down everthing in my kitchen to be rid of the (regular) flour dust before I can make any more GF products.  Stay tuned for further experiments.  :)

For the Peppermint Strip recipe, see:
http://quilt-talk.blogspot.com/2009/12/peppermint-strips.html

For more info on GF baking see:
http://www.theglutenfreelifestyle.com/gluten-free-flour-mix.html

1 comment:

Barb said...

I love reading about your experiements...and the placemats below are adorable.