Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What's Old is New Again

I've been mulling over how to arrange my sewing space.  Thought I'd get two work tables with hard plastic tops.  On a quilting retreat I discovered that sewing and lightweight tables don't go together.  The tables start to bounce and vibrate if you sew too fast.   I'm very happy I discovered this before I bought tables. 

Then I remembered the poor, old, neglected kitchen table of my youth.  Down in the basement, dutifully holding my laundry supplies.  It was dismantled, moved upstairs and reassembled.  This thing is built like a tank!  It took two of us just to bring the table top up the stairs.  And its big - 36 x 60".  Still haven't decided what's the optimal arrangement for sewing and quilting.  But a good solid table is a great start.  :)

3 comments:

bettyp said...

Your very smart in using that table !I know all to well about the light weight tables .When I sew to fast things starts to fall off the table!!

Barb said...

Now that is a table.....

SandyQuilts said...

If you're old table is wooden you might consider cutting a hole and adding a shelf to hold your machine. Like this

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/548224666aohcQn