Search This Blog

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Mt. Horeb Heritage Festival 2010

Visited Mt. Horeb, WI - a town known for its Norwegian heritage.  If you've never been there, the first thing you'll notice is the trolls.  Most of them are large, carved from tree trunks, and right on main street.  But one troll was walking about today. He even posed for pictures. 
These friendly folks welcomed us to the Norwegian breakfast.  Lots of goodies, such as aged beef, pancakes with sour cream and applesauce, sandbakkels, rosettes, lingonberry butter, and of course - lefse.  I learned to eat lefse with cinnamon sugar, but they also served it with brown sugar. 

At the museum, there was a photo of two young men, Native Americans, dressed in their finest clothing.  I studied the picture for a long time.  Something didn't look right.   But what?  Then I read that following exposure to European cultures, the Native Americans began working European (in this case Norwegian) patterns into their beadwork.  Both men had short hair, in the European manner.  The Native American/Norwegian designs were intriguing!

The quilt show was very nice. It wasn't always possible to take a picture of the entire quilt.  I captured as much as I could.  Hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
This is the raffle quilt.  The winner will be drawn on Sunday.  I put my name in 6 times!
 I bet whoever made this tumbler quilt had an AccuQuilt Go!
 The quilt below was one of my favorites.  I like the striped sections adjoining the Log Cabin blocks.
  The blue and white quilt was in my top three for Viewer's Choice.

 These tesselating leaves were beautiful.  The picture doesn't do it justice.
My Sweetie had this red and black quilt on his top three for Viewer's Choice.
These 8 pointed stars are resting on a circular background.  Every point was perfect!
 My Sweetie also like the stack and whack above.  I was told its called a Lemoyne Star.
 I love the simplicity of the black and white chains in this quilt.



I love this radiant pattern. 
 Here are some of the challenge quilts with a barn yard theme.
 The dolphin quilt below was three dimensional. 


How nice to see that quilting is treasured and promoted at this event.  We also saw how to braid your own rope.  There were troll carving and rosemaling demonstrations, and hay rides for the kids.  :)

1 comment:

Joanne said...

The quilts are fantastic - thanks for sharing!
At a quilt show I went to this spring, there was the same raffle quilt - same pattern with Bali fabric.