Search This Blog

Thursday, December 29, 2011

One Inch Squares & St. Patrick's Day

I've been tossing fabric scraps in a cookie container, planning to do something with them when the containter got full.  Since I just finished a big project, I didn't feel like launching right into another one - and the container WAS full.  The opportunity to just dabble a bit seemed appealling.
I sorted the scraps by color, with the intention of making a whole lot of 3" nine patches.  I had some odd amounts of thread to use up so I started with pinks and reds.  I had quite a few scraps from a quilt I made using 1930's reproductions.  I may make those nine patches and set them aside with the other 1930's fabric for future inspiration.
I finally took the time to determine what needle position will give me perfect 1" squares.  I'm also trying to decide if I want to stick with nine patches, or go to 4 x 4s with the intention of making an eventual postage stamp quilt - some many years down the road....when my cookie container has been filled and emptied many times over.

The great thing about an open ended project is your mind can go in any direction.  I was looking forward to working with the greens - when I remembered that I wanted to make a St. Patrick's Day wall hanging or table topper this year.  As I'm dabbling with these scraps, I'm also keeping my eye open for a great St. Pattie's Day pattern.  Feel free to share if you have a good one!  :)

No comments: