Search This Blog

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Gluten Free Banana Muffins & Potluck Etiquette

These GF banana muffins were whipped up for a bake sale at work.  Having dietary restrictions means that if you want to participate in food-related events, you can't just run to the grocery store and pick something up.  But that's OK, cuz I DO enjoy the challenge of coming up with GF foods that others will taste and say "Boy, that's good!"  As a dietitian, I figure the more people I educate, the easier it will be when they or someone close to them learns they have to modify their diet for one reason or another.
The muffins were made using Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix.  The muffin recipe on the side of the package is really easy.  I doubled the recipe to make one dozen.  Then I used a topping from The Cake Doctor Bakes Gluten Free.  The topping for the Cake Doctor's New-Fashioned Banana Muffins is:

1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1/2 c. brown sugar, loosely packed
1/2 c. chopped banana chips 
The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten-Free
The topping appealed to me because I had made a GF apple/pear crisp (NOT a Cake Doctor recipe), and the struesel topping was a disaster.  I figured the banana chips would be flavorful and provide a nice crunchy texture.  And did they ever!

At the last potluck I attended, I was horrified that someone dropped brownie crumbs all over my clearly labeled plate of gluten free cut out, frosted cookies.  With one careless action all my hard work went down the drain - the cookies were no longer GF.  I wanted to sit down and cry!  Instead, I removed the GF label and bit my tongue (hard).  There was no undoing it - so why make a fuss? 

So THIS time I got smart!  I put each muffin in a ziplock sandwich bag, labeled Gluten Free Banana Nut.  Not only did the few of us that are GF get to enjoy the muffins (sans cross contamination), but a number of people who do NOT have celiac disease tried them and liked them.   Success!  :)

No comments: