Search This Blog

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Audacious Autumn - Its a Finish!

This quilt is finally complete.  Hooray, hooray!  I suspected that the red stitching might not show up well on the busy fabrics, and I was right.  But here is a picture of the quilting before I washed off the chalk.
I drew a large, leafy branch across the quilt, then stippled around it.  In the process of marking the quilt, my chalk pencil wore down to a nub.  So I went to the fabric store to pick up a $0.99 chalk pencil.  Wouldn't ya know, they didn't sell them.  I could either buy a washable white pen or the Dritz Chalk Cartidge Set pictured above for $13.99.  Irked, but really wanting chalk (and being too lazy to go elsewhere) I begrudgingly tossed the kit in my cart.  But this story has a happy ending.  The chalk cartidge is superior to any chalk pencil, pouncing powder or washable marker I've ever used.  Yes, it does rub off easily...but if you draw something you don't like, you can just brush it off and mark it again.  I can't (yet) stipple freehand with my machine, but I can draw stippling with chalk and stitch on the line all day long.  Once I found the best way to mark the quilt, the quilting didn't take long at all.  :)

4 comments:

Amy said...

Your quilt looks great. What is the name of the marking kit you bought? I'm always looking for good products.

Pat said...

I bought the same chalk pen kit a little while back. I think it's one of my better investments. I love it!

bernie said...

Please share what the name of your new find is? I find it easier to draw a guide for FMQ otherwise I end up just doing mindless scribbling. I have been using the pounce type chalk, but it is so messy. Your quilt top is great. Bernie

Chris said...

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - I had to dig through the recycling bin to find the package. Its Dritz Quilting's Chalk Cartridge Set.