Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wednesday Wellness - MyPlate to MyCart


As you probably know, USDA replaced MyPyramid with MyPlate. 
 (If you haven't heard, check it out here:  http://www.choosemyplate.gov/index.html)

As I was buying groceries, I wondered "What if I divide my shopping cart into sections and see how my diet stacks up?"
Fruits?  Check.  Veggies?  Check.  Do they take up half my cart?  Check.
Dairy?  Check.  Whole grains?  Check.  Protein? 
A little light on meat - but had stuff at home in the freezer - so check.

I try very hard to keep junk food out of the house, and to have lots of healthy stuff readily available.

But what's that in the bottom right corner of the picture?  Some discretionary calories?  OK, I confess.  Those are ingredients for a gluten-free Boston cream pie - which I'll whip up one of these days.  Gotta live a litte, now and then. 

At any rate, you might want to try this experiment the next time you shop.  Who knows what you will discover about your diet?  :)

No comments: