Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

Adventures in Gluten Free Living-Spices

GF monotony has set in, so I needed inspiration.  Having heard good things about Penzey's Spices, I dropped by.  Had hoped to find a GF beef base, but no dice.  Still, I found other goodies.  Making soups from scratch will be easier with the Bouquet Garni.  The Vanilla Sugar will be fun to try on oatmeal and to sprinkle on fresh fruits that need just a hint of sugar.  I have yet to make or buy a good GF salad dressing so I'm looking forward to trying the Green Goddess mix with light sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.  But the best find of all is the Corned Beef Spices!  

I've been thinking about St. Pattie's Day.  But all my internet searches for gluten free corned beef result in the same thing: Hormel's Corned Beef Hash in a can.  Definitely NOT what I want to eat on St. Pat's Day!  So I bought a beef brisket and I'm gonna give it a whirl.   My family tends to get together in mid-March to celebrate triple birthdays.  We almost always go out for corned beef and cabbage.  Even if I can't have it at the restaurant, I won't feel bad if I know I can have it at home.  Now, just how much salt and water constitutes a brine, and how long does it have to soak?  Will have to report back with results!  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend Frances loves Penzey's spices. My sister went to a Penzey's store when she was in Des Moines in May 2010. She brought back a jar of "Bavarian seasoning" for me. The Vanilla Sugar sounds yummy!