Search This Blog

Friday, September 10, 2010

Quilt Expo 2010 Quilts

Spent the day at the Wisconsin Public Television-Nancy Zieman Productions Quilt Expo (http://www.wiquiltexpo.com/). I even saw Nancy Zieman, up close and personal.  Here are some of the quilts I liked.  The show still goes from 9 am to 6 pm on Saturday...so its not too late, if you can get to Madison, WI.  Maybe I'll see you there!



Diamond Flowers
This is one of several Log Cabins embellished with beautiful embroidery, rather than traditional feathers or straight line quilting.
Floral Fantasy
Love Always - I like how each block is framed by triangles.  A nice twist on plain old sashing.
Ode to a Mason Jar - I was recently given this pattern.  I've also seen it done with butterflies, lady bugs, and insects in each jar.  I love how this quilter added the kitchen curtain.
Peaky and Spike Visit the Angels - Seriously, I couldn't have made up that title!  I've seen people make wonky stars, but was never quite sure what I'd do with them if I made some.  Here they make a bright and cheery night sky.
Rosella's Flower Garden - named for the quilter's husband's aunt, who always wears a fresh flower in her hair.
Southern Star with Yo Yos - I love the scrappy element to this quilt. And who can resist yo-yos?  I voted for this one for Viewer's Choice.
Spring's Greeting - aptly named.  I'm glad to see the judges also liked this quilt.
Summer Sanctuary.  The quilting detail here is breathtaking.

The quilts I was drawn to have bright, vibrant colors.  But many shops (and vendors at the show) feature darker, Civil War era tones.  I guess it depends on what "look" you are striving for.  Me, I'm always looking to brighten things up with my quilts. :)

2 comments:

MarthaVA said...

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. We have a quilt expo coming up beginning of Oct. here in VA. I can't wait.
Martha

Joanne said...

Beautiful quilts! Thanks for sharing!