Search This Blog

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Purple Irises

Some people dread Memorial Day weekend cuz 'round these parts it often involves yard work - and plenty of it.  I say "Bring it on!"  All winter I look forward to the point where you can safely plant in Wisconsin without worrying about frost.  Today I prepped my flower beds and transplanted perrenials.  The weather is warm enough for shorts, and cool enough not to stress the plants, with rain coming tonight.  Ideal! 

These weed-free, grass-free irises are the fruit of my labor.  Isn't the deep purple beautiful against the spring green foliage and grass?  Who needs a color wheel, when Mother Nature can continually suprise and amaze us?

This year I'm going to try my hand at container gardening tomatoes, red and green peppers and green beans - maybe more.  In the past I've been unable to grow vegetables due to deep shade.  But some of my old trees have to come down so I'm looking forward to growing something other than impatiens and hostas.  You can expect future progress reports. 

Hope you're enjoying a glorious weekend!  :) 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love irises, too! Your deep purple irises are just beautiful. My sister has a plethora of blue irises blooming, which are equally gorgeous.

I'm so glad that you can finally garden w/o having to limit yourself to shade-loving plants. There is nothing like fresh vegetables and tomatoes from the garden. Enjoy!