Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wednesday Wellness - Soft Drinks

kids drinking soda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqd347tTzhY&feature=player_embedded

This little whippersnapper cracks me up - what a refreshing approach to health education!  
 
He's advocating (with a little help from his parents) for a bill to ban soft drinks from schools in the Philippines.
 
There's no doubt we drink way too many full sugar soft drinks - not just in the US or the Philippines - but the world over!  Soft drinks weaken our bones and teeth, contribute to overweight and obesity, adult-onset diabetes, high blood pressure, and many other diet-related chronic illnesses. 

The information here is 99% accurate.  (Its always better to eat whole fruit than to drink fruit juice.  But if you - like me - just can't start the day without your OJ, limit it to 1/2 cup/day.  Also, the sugar/behavior link is debatable - but that's a topic for another day.) 

The picture above comes from another awesomely creative post. This one suggests funding your next vacation with soda money!  I bet most kids could be talked into that!


See: http://www.momlogic.com/2009/05/say_no_to_soda_post.php

PS - Writer's block prevented me from posting nutrition-related material for some time. I may not post every Wednesday, but intend to post most Wednesdays. And I've changed the header from Wednesday Weigh-In to Wednesday Wellness, because focusing on the scale alone doesn't always reflect changes in body composition. For instance, a 2 lb. weight increase may reflect that you're well-hydrated, and or even gaining muscle. Better to look at weekly trends than daily fluctuations.


Ah, but I digress...I hope you enjoy these posts as much as I did!  :)

No comments: