Search This Blog

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Gluten Free Goodness

Many moons ago, I married into a hunting family - so I got pretty good at cooking venison.  Eventually, my ex gave up hunting.  So I hadn't cooked any venison in a decade or so.  Then late last year, two milestones occurred.  I was diagnosed with celiac disease in November, and in December DS2 shot his first deer. 

All of my venison recipes called for beef broth, beef boullion, beef base, canned beef gravy, canned tomato soup, commercial barbecue sauce, Worchestershire sauce, A-1 Steak Sauce or Kitchen Bouquet...ALL of which are excluded from a gluten free diet.  I tried GF beef "flavored" broth - which tasted so awful that only the dog would eat it.  So I made my own stock.  This was a lot of work, didn't turn out all that great, and got used up way too fast.

Finally, I stumbled upon Maxwell's Kitchen's Brown Gravy Mix.  It's fantastic!  One packet makes 10 ounces of gravy and costs anywhere from $1.75 a packet (on the Intranet) to $2.29 (at a local grocery store).  Fortunately, my favorite store has it for $1.89, which is cheaper than buying it by the case and paying shipping.  I cannot (yet) attest to the quality of the pork, chicken or turkey gravy mixes.  But the brown gravy is made with real beef, and has resulted in an excellent venison Swiss steak and a rouladen-style venison in gravy.  Now we're cookin'!

Can't wait to try the other flavors!  :)

No comments: